Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mess On Your Desk Challenge

Wow!!!!  What a fun Friday and Saturday on the Cricut Circle!!  Jana Eubanks has provided us with a two-part webinar featuring 25 (?) techniques for embellishing die cuts, we had a live chat with our Circle Message Board friends and the Circle Design Team, we've played the craziest games (learned some speed typing on those!), have had four great challenges --more to come-- and some time to finish those (I hope to post mine in the next few days!), and we've even had some timed challenges!

This is the first timed challenge that I have been able to do!  In addition to a 2-hour limit to complete and link, this challenge only allows us to use the stuff on our desks and trash baskets!!!

So, here's what I had to work with (I wasn't desperate enough for the trash but that is only because I am such a messy crafter and the old work desk had plenty of stuff):


I was working on the color challenge when this challenge was posted so I stopped everything.  I almost cannibalized my cuts for the color challenge when I spotted all the hot air balloons I had cut a few days ago from the Wild Card 2 cartridge, hoping that Piper could use them for her thank-you cards to send for the First Communion gifts she received.  I abandoned them when I realized there were too many pieces for her to enjoy that idea... and as you can see, I don't exactly throw stuff away quickly.

My problem was that I had to make a card with at least one Cricut cut... and I hadn't cut the coordinating pieces... and since they weren't on the desk (nor was the cartridge) I couldn't just cut them... so I used techniques from Jana's webinar to finish one of them!

I used chalk to create the clouds.... and I used awhite pen to doodle.


I also doodled a little person to ride in the balloon using an index card that I use to take notes, and I added a banner to the balloon.


I used colored pencils to try the gamsol technique we were shown...first coloring the edges with colored pencil...


Then I used the paper nub to blend with gamsol (colorless mineral spirits).  I added dark chalk to make shadows under the pennants.


Well, okay, I need to practice this gamsol technique quite a bit more to lose those stroke marks... but since I am a few minutes away from the deadline... it will have to do for now!

Thank you for indulging me in this less-than-stellar card... Yay!  I might just get this posted in time!

5 comments:

Sis Patterson said...

It's pretty close to stellar - and I definitely have to rate it stellar for a first attempt with the gamsol!

Mrs. Green said...

Nadia, this is super cute! Great job!

cdm317 said...

This is just delightful Nadia! Gosh your desk is neat! :)
Colleen

Sandy from Ukiah said...

You are so amazing

Hrvatica said...

Ooo, that glamsol technique is something I'm going to have to try.

But wait! There's more! Click 'older posts' above!

But wait!  There's more!  Click 'older posts' above!