Friday, September 14, 2012

Ms. Elephant's Third Grade



 So, do you remember those Teddy Bear Parade morphs from a previous post?  There, I learned how to put bodies and clothes from Teddy Bear Parade with heads of different critters from different carts-- sometimes even the super oldies-- to make a whole menagerie of fun characters.  Well, I found that Everyday Paper Dolls and Animal Kingdom also have some fantastic 'head only' animal cuts!  I used them on this project:  Ms. Elephant's Third Grade!

I started this project by making characters!  I stayed with the 2" bear body for the students (3" for the teacher).




Animals were created as follows.  Uniforms for all the students were a combination of the school girl and school boy on Teddy Bear Parade (keys 28 and 29)!  All clothing was cut (of course) the same size as the bodies.

  • Elephant - 3" body from Teddy Bear Parade with a 2" head from Animal Kingdom (head feature, flipped, page 102).  Dress was the sailor dress  (key # 22) on Teddy Bear Parade.  Glasses were cut from Paisley (page 56) at 1/2".  The head was popped up 1/8".  Glasses were popped up 1/8".  The chalk in her hand is just a tiny rolled up piece of paper.

  • Raccoon - 2" body  from Teddy Bear Parade with a 1-1/4" head from Animal Kingdom (flipped, head feature).  

  • Rabbit -  2" body  from Teddy Bear Parade with a 2-3/4" head from Everyday Paper Dolls (page 74, 'head only' cut).  I cut one arm and sleeve so she could 'raise her hand'.  (I just snipped in at her underarm and moved the arm up as if it were on a hinge.)

  • Cat - This is the very same cat that I made on my previous post.  Click here for info on making this critter!  

  • Pig -  2" body  from Teddy Bear Parade with a 1-1/4" head from Animal Kingdom (flipped, head feature page 84)  This is a different pig from my last post!  I like this cut because, unlike the one I used  previously, this one is a 'head only' cut!

  • Panda -  This is the very same panda that I made on my previous post.  Click here for info on making this critter!  This time, I used the glasses from the school boy costume!

  • Monkey -  2" body  from Teddy Bear Parade with a 2-3/4" head from Everyday Paper Dolls (page 75, 'head only' cut).  I cut one arm and sleeve so he could 'raise his hand'.  This is a different monkey than I used before on my last post.  I like this one because he is looking to the side!


I gave all the students desks from Sentimentals, cut at 3/4" (shadow feature, page 42).  I trimmed off the inside points to make them less decorative.  The desks are popped up 1/8" off of the animals.


I decided on walls and added a floor to anchor them and to give them an environment that I could start to decorate.  The final floor was 2" wide (a change from this version).


I hand-cut a chalk board (4-1/4" x 2-7/8") and bulletin boards (3-1/2" x 2-5/8", trimmed to 2-1/4").  I made a penmanship border by cutting up a page from my daughter's tablet leftover from the last school year.  (My little girl was shocked that I knew how to do proper letters like she learned to make last year in the 2nd grade.  I guess my regular penmanship leaves something to be desired.  She actually offered to do it for me because she didn't think I could do it!)  The flag was cut at 2" from Stand and Salute (page 22).  It was popped up 1/8".

At this point, I added foam to the characters so that they would be at proper distance from the surface of the page.  1" foam for the teacher and front row; 1/2" for the back row.



I hand-cut their drawings (1" x 3/4") and reports (3/4" x 1/2").  The reports were punched with a tiny Martha Stewart hole punch to make those tiny holes.  The bulletin board edging was made with decorative scissors.  The picture of George Washington was cut at 1" from My World (page 28).


I hand-cut tiny pencils, using markers and pencil to give details.




The globe was cut at 1-1/4" from Locker Talk (page 47).  It is popped up 1/8".  The table it sets on is from Sentimentals at 1-1/2" (shadow feature).  Like the student desks, I also trimmed off the inside points here too.


The books on the cat's desk were cut from Locker Talk at 1" (page 47).  I trimmed off the bottom book.  The books are popped up 1/8".


The pennant banner at the top of the page was printed and cut from Spring Chic.  (1.3" for the red/yellow ones; 2" for the blue.)  I hand-cut to change the shape of the blue ones.  Some are glued flush to the paper; others are popped up 1/8".


The apple on the pig's desk is from the Teddy Bear Parade cartridge (key #28) at 2".  It was popped up 1/8".


After looking at the project in natural light....


...I placed it in a shadow box that allowed for my 1-1/4" projections.




I learned a lot from this project!  And what a joy to get to review older cartridges, like My World, to find treasures!  Did you know there are busts of Lewis and Clark on that one? -- and maps, and so, so much more!  I loved finding the 'head feature' on Animal Kingdom!  Lots of 'head only' cuts for more morphed animals!!  I loved making some hand-cut elements and really enjoyed adding in lots of fun details for the classroom.

I am the guest designer on the Cricut Fanatics blog today!  I have another small Teddy Bear Parade morph over there-- a back-to-school card!  Check it out:  click here!  

This card is on the Cricut Fanatics blog (see above for link).  I will be featuring a whole set of these cards with different designs later this month here on my blog!


To see many of my previous paper projects, check out My Project Gallery (or click here)!

49 comments:

Melissa said...

OMG, your creativity is poppin!!!! YOU ROCK!

Hrvatica said...

This is sooo adorable! Great details and all of the animals are so expressive.

Sis Patterson said...

Nadia -

This is simply wonderful, amazing, fun, and out of this world cute!

I can't tell you how much I love the detail, dimension, and color scheme of this project. Mrs. Elephant really looks like a teacher and a nice friendly one at that. I'm sure she always remember learning is important and fun.

Your student "body", the bulletin boards, the levels of depth, chalkboard, pencils, apples, books, globe, and Mrs. E's glasses are perfect!

Thank you for your creativity, insights into your techniques, and the start of a wonderful day!

And the addition of 2 carts to my wish list (Animal Kingdom and My World)....

Sara Andrews said...

This is spectacular!! It looks like a scene from one of Hartly's favorite books. There is just so much to look at and love.

Karon said...

OMG Nadia - you never cease to amaze. This is blooming fantastic! TFS you amazing person you!!!

http://karonskraftykorner.blogspot.ca/

Scrap N Grow said...

WOW!!What a spectaculr rendition of a school classroom. I love the incredible detail to each of the students as well to the background. I love how you changed the size od the foam to compensate for the change in distance and of course the final touch is to put it inside of a display class for admiration and appreciation. Beautiful work Nadia, you are very talented and very generous to share the details.

Beautiful bus card too. Heading over to the blog link for more information.

Have a great day!

Michelle
www.scrapngrow.com

missstamper said...

What an absolutely wonderful project! Your attention to the little details is amazing! You also featured some cuts that I didn't even know I had - like the sideways monkey head from Everyday Paper Dolls! Once again, I love how you walk through every step of the way! Awesome!

Diane said...

You blow me away with all your creativity!

Incredible project!

Di&Co

Sherry said...

I think my jaw just dropped on the floor! This is FABULOUS!! So, so cute and creative!

Scrappin with the bug said...

OH My word this is FANTASTIC.. I think this is the BEST project for a teacher. What fun this is. I'm so going to print this off and make a few modifications to the teddy bears and do this. How cute.

Oh by the way my daugther just saw the bus.. She said - PIGS don't ride busses that's silly. I guess a cat and frog do though?? Too cute. LOVE your projects!!!!

Scrapperdee said...

OMG Nadia, that is amazing and beautiful and WOW!

The detail in the teacher and students is crazy amazing and THEN all the details for the room/accessories - WOW!

Everything you do is so professional and mind blowing!

Stephanie Dang said...

Oh my... this is spectacular! So much work and details!! :) You are getting better and better and better! And I am constantly amazed at your wonderful talent!! :)

Carrie said...

I am amazed at the details!!! WOW! Fantastic job!!!

Tina H said...

OMGosh! Love,love,love it! how adorable are the itsy bitsy pencils! Your shading and artistic touch on all the animals is amazing! I just can't get enough of your work. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see your next project:)

Cindy@ Scrap-obsessed.blogspot.com said...

Wow, I am speechless. This looks exactly how I remember my elementary classrooms. The amount of detail you always put into your projects astonishes me. All the way down to the teeny tiny pencil! Love all of it.

Ladybug said...

I am in just total "awe" w/ this project. You are just beyond words --- w/ all of your creativity! TFS w/ all of us! :-)

Ginger said...

Wow! Those tiny pencils--just such great details! I LOVE this!

cricaholic said...

WOWZA!!! SUPER DUPER AMAZING!!! All the attention to details, absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I am giving you a STANDING OVATION...I'm bowing to your Fantastic Creativity!!!! I'm breathless....

ScrappyKats said...

Nadia, this is stunning! I absolutely LOVE this. I can't believe all of the detail it's amazing! Great job.

Michele said...

I thought you couldn't top that cute halloween scene with the two gals and guy, but this tops that in scope and details! wowzers!!! Amazing work!

cdm317 said...

This leaves me speechless! Wow! What else can I say? Wow!

KOLA Designs said...

eeeek! Too cute!! I think you should illustrate with paper for kids' books!! This image totally reminds me of Mercer Meyer's lil' critters books from when I was a kid!

Sherri said...

Brilliant...postively brilliant.

Love love love your project.

Anonymous said...

This is beyond amazing! You are so creative.

Surprisingly Crafty said...

Oh my goodness!!! Your cards are precious!! Super creative!!! :o)

Threadbear said...

I love Ms. Elephant's Third Grade -- it is fantastic!! The detail you put into it is amazing -- I keep going back to look some more and find new things. I adore the reports and drawings you made -- this is such an awesome project!!

Sukie said...

Wow! Such an amazing project! I love everything about it, I love your transformation of the characters! What a fun gift that shadow box would be for a teacher. Both of my sisters are teachers and I know they would love it!

Gina piazza said...

Nadia,
This is so delightful! I can't tell you enough how much I LOVE when a post from 'with glittering eyes" shows up in my mailbox! The whimsy and depth on this one is superb!

ScrappyMama said...

Every time I think that you can't POSSIBLY outdo yourself...you manage to prove me wrong. Again. I love, love, love this whole project!! Especially Mrs. Elephant! Love the pig...and the panda...get the picture?????!!

Adrian said...

WOW! WOW! There are no words!

Dell said...

OMG Nadia! This absolutely rocks! Just love how you created so many details and displaying inside the shadow box. I am definitely going to have to make some of those characters. Thank you so much for sharing! You are soooo very artistic!

Tanya~Studio 5380 said...

Good golly...you've done it again! Just when I think you cannot possibly amaze me again...you do it...yet again! This is just fabulously amazing and I can't think of any words that haven't already been used to describe your amazing art work...so I'm just going to hush and continue to be amazed! Did I mention that I love this?

Merilee Lane said...

This is another one of your absolutely awesome creations! Thank you for the wonderful inspiration. I love seeing what you'll think of next!

Merilee

Francine said...

WOW, WOW, WOW - where do you find the TIME for all these wonderful DETAILS?!??! Like the tiny pencils??? I am amazed and always look forward to what you will dream up next! Wonderful instructions as well. Thanks so much for sharing your talents!

Got2BCrafting said...

Holy Cow Nadia... I just don't know how you do it!! You simply AMAZE me with every project you create. I am just in awe with your creativity... wish I could borrow your brain for awhile. :)
Lori

Kathy Salido said...

You are such an absolutely amazing artist!! This project is beyond words!! Love it. Cannot wait to try some morphs!!
Kathy
3spoileddogs.blogspot.com

susan crafts said...

Love love love this classroom. Thank you for sharing how you make your fantastic creations. I really enjoy them and continue to learn so much!!

Jayne said...

Oh WOW,this is amazing!Love the scene you've created and so many wonderful details.Fabulous!
Thanks for the scoring tip...it worked beautifully.
Jayne x

Kim B. said...

All I can say Wow, That is AMAZING!!! I wish I had that kind of patience. You do such amazing crafts!!! Keep up the awesome work!!!

scootingranny said...

Sorry it took so long for me to respond to this post but it took me quite awhile to pick my jaw up off the floor and put it back in place. Amazing...the layers, the shading, the teeny tiny absolutely fab details. Wonderful!!!! What a talent and imagination you have. Talk about thinking outside the box!!!

nightnurse said...

Wow, just WOW. The detail you put in to your projects is amazing. You have totally sold me on the Teddy Bear cartridge. I love the way you take the stock cartridge figures and make them your own and I appreciate so much that you share your talent with us. Thanks, Nadia!

MelodyR aka Ry&MysMom said...

Ahhhh this cartridge elludes me on ebay :( I will not give up! Thanks for sharing how you wonderfully transform your Teddy Bears - another great project!

Thanks for stopping by my blog too ;). You're always too sweet!

Norma Gomez said...

Oh WOW, this is such a fun project! I love all of the little characters and all the little details you added to give them individual personalities. This much have taken awhile but OMGoodness it was well worth it. Super Cute, I love it!!

Thank you so much for visiting my blog today and following along :D

JULIANA said...

OH WOW! You always amaze me with how you use the carts!!! This is just adorable!!!

Unknown said...

AMAZING!!! You are so creative and your little critters are too ADORABLE! TFS!

Audrey Frelx said...

OMG Nadia!!! My god but you are waaaay beyond AMAZING; you are beyond out-of-this-world!!!

I just love everything you do and you just keep outdoing that!!!

Lori said...

Don't what impresses me the most: the whole effect of the vignette or the details... Amazing! I love those tiny pencils - I can't believe you made those!

MaryNSC said...

O MY GOODNESS O M Y GOODNESSS I kept saying I SURE HOPE U FRAMED THIS I SURE HOPE U FRAMED THIS It needs to BE in A MUSEUM... O MY GOODNESS... THATS ALL I CAN SAY IS O M Y GOODNESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! LOVE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!! I wish I could be that CREATIVE...WOW WOW WOW!!!

JennyKozar said...

Really -- how had I never come across thisbefore! AMAZING AMAZING!!! Love each piece of this for sure.

But wait! There's more! Click 'older posts' above!

But wait!  There's more!  Click 'older posts' above!